Thursday, March 10, 2011

What do crafters do when they have time to kill?

So do you have some time to kill each week? I do. While my son is taking tae kwon do I sit and watch for an hour. He goes a couple times a week so that is a couple hours of my week that I am just sitting, so the crafter that I am decided to crochet a blanket.

It is something that can easily be packed up and can be done away from my craft desk. I'm not lugging around a bunch of things, just some yarn and a needle..  I went to JoAnns picked my colors, bought my needles and got working.  But I wasn't prepared for all the comments and questions that came with crocheting!

Really, I have gotten so many comments and questions it was shocking. One lady said she hadn't seen anyone knitting since her grandmother,then corrected herself to say crocheting. Another mom was so enthralled and was touching the yarn and asking when I started and how long will it take me and on and on.

Its funny, mothers don't teach their daughters to crochet anymore? Gosh I learned from my mom, who learned from her mom. Winter nights you could find us all working on some sort of scarf or blanket. In my lifetime I have created at least four blankets, plus started countless others that never got finished.

When did crocheting become something grandmas did? Why aren't mothers continuing a tradition that will create so many great memories.  Plus heirlooms to pass on from generation to generation.

My friend is starting a business to teach kids and mothers to sew. She has asked me to help her and brainstorm, crocheting and knitting will definitely be on our schedule!

Have a great week, be creative,

Ramona

1 comment:

  1. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any
    widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

    Take a look at my web site diets that work fast for women

    ReplyDelete